What is the best option to visit Cenotes?
If you want to visit one of the amazing natural cenotes during your Riviera Maya vacation, there are different ways you can choose. Check out the facts and decide whether a self-guided cenote tour or a private guided tour from Playa del Carmen is the best option for you.
Renting a car and visiting a cenote by yourself
If you like independent travel and are keen to save money, you can visit a cenote independently. However, there are some important things to consider:
- You will need to rent a car as the best cenotes are off-the-beaten-path in scenic but remote areas. Check first about all requirements to rent a car in Mexico and difficulties you might be facing driving in a foreign country.
- You’ll need a local map to navigate along roads that may be poorly paved and lacking signs. It can be frustrating if you get lost and drive miles out of your way. In most part of the jungle there is no network to check google map.
- On arrival, you might not be able to communicate in Spanish or Mayan with the owners of the cenote, as not all of them speak fluently English.
- Most cenotes accept only cash pesos (and you need to provide exact amount as they don’t have change), some accept USD but with very bad exchange rate.
- You will need to rent your own wetsuit and snorkel equipment which is included in guided cenote tours. Also the equipment you can rent onsite is usually average quality while tour agencies can provide much better gear that fits you.
- Some parts of cenotes are only accessible with a guide for safety reasons and or to preserve the place, and these areas are usually the most beautiful ones.
- You will miss the interesting explanations about what cenotes are and how they were formed.
- You’ll be visiting with many other people…
Guided cenote snorkeling tour benefits
Book our guided cenote tour from Playa del Carmen, Cancun or Tulum and enjoy:
- Hotel pick-up from your hotel or rental.
- A relaxed stress-free journey in an air-conditioned vehicle.
- We know the best, quietest and most beautiful cenotes to visit.
- The chance to ask questions and learn about cenotes from your fluent English-speaking guide.
- Personal assistance for non-confident swimmers.
- Wetsuits, flashlights and masks that fit properly, included in our private cenote tours.
- No waiting in line at the entrance.
- All fees included in the tour price. No need to bring pesos. You can book online with a deposit and pay your balance with various payment method (card, paypal, cash USD…).
- No need to rent lockers: leave your personal belongings safely in the vehicle with the driver.
Now you now the facts you can make an informed choice. Will you choose a self-guided cenote visit or a private guided tour from Playa del Carmen, Cancun or Tulum?