Cenote Tour: Self-guided vs. Private Tour
If you want to visit one of the amazing natural cenotes during your Riviera Maya vacation, there are different ways you can choose. Check out the facts and decide whether a self-guided cenote tour or a private guided tour from Playa del Carmen is the best option for you.
Renting a car and visiting a cenote by yourself
If you like independent travel and are keen to save money, you can visit a cenote independently. However, there are some important things to consider:
- You will need to rent a car as the best cenotes are off-the-beaten-path in scenic but remote areas. Check first about all requirements to rent a car in Mexico and difficulties you might be facing driving in a foreign country.
- You’ll need a local map to navigate along roads that may be poorly paved and lacking signs. It can be frustrating if you get lost and drive miles out of your way. Jungle no network to check google map.
- On arrival, you might not be able to communicate in spanish or mayan with the owners of the cenote.not all of them speak fluently English.
- You will need to provide your own wetsuit and snorkel equipment which is included in guided cenote tours.
- Some parts of cenotes are only accessible with a guide for safety reasons and or to preserve the place, and these areas are usually the most beautiful ones.
- You will miss the interesting explanations about what cenotes are and how they were formed.
- You’ll be visiting with many other people...
Guided cenote snorkeling tour benefits
Book our guided cenote tour from Playa del Carmen, Cancun or Tulum and enjoy:
- Hotel pick-up from your hotel or rental
- A relaxed stress-free journey in an air-conditioned vehicle.
- We know the best, quietest and most beautiful cenotes to visit.
- The chance to ask questions and learn about cenotes from your English-speaking guide.
- Personal assistance for non-confident swimmers.
- Wetsuits, flashlights and masks that fit properly, included in our private cenote tours.
- All fees included in the tour price.
- No waiting in line at the entrance.
- No need to rent lockers: leave your personal belongings safely in the vehicle with the driver.
Now you now the facts you can make an informed choice. Will you choose a self-guided cenote visit or a private guided tour from Playa del Carmen, Cancun or Tulum?