Punta Laguna National Park
Are you interested in experiencing a living Mayan community and discovering aMonkey Sanctuary?
With a population of approximately 30 families, Punta Laguna Monkey Sanctuary is a thriving area that welcomes tourists! These natives welcome all individuals to visit and learn by participating in historic day to day activities.
Otoch Ma’ax Yetel Kooh, or Punta Laguna, has been a protected area since 1982. It is home to the spider monkey and the puma cat. Spreading across 5,367 hectares, it is the perfect adventure for families and nature lovers alike. You can be sure you will be able to enjoy the beautiful landscape in a safe and respectful way.
Punta Laguna offers five possible activities:
- A hike suitable for all ages in the jungle to get a glimpse of the spider monkey and hear the howler monkey’s famous cry. (encountering them is not guaranteed)
- A relaxing canoe trip through the lagoon
- An adrenaline packed zip-line tour over the lagoon
- A descent into a cenote by way rappel rope (max weight 210 lbs / 95 kg)
- A historic Mayan purification ceremony
This national park is a few miles from Coba ruins. So it's a great idea to combine the visit of Punta Laguna with these ancient mayan ruins in one day trip!