What is the situation of Coronavirus in Riviera Maya?
Last update: Feb 20th, 2021.
Mexico Borders are open!
Mexico's borders have never been closed since the start of the pandemic. Covid-19 tests are not required on arrival on the territory; but there are thermal cameras at the airport, temperature check protocol and self-declaration to be completed on arrival.
Still, travelers should check the conditions of return to their country of origin:
Traveling back to USA: Effective as of Jan 26th: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expanding the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger. Source CDC
Traveling back to Canada: The Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, is requiring that, effective January 7, 2021, at 12:01 a.m. EST, all air passengers five years of age or older will be required to test negative for COVID-19 before travelling from another country to Canada. This implementation date provides all airlines, both foreign and domestic, adequate time to comply with the new requirements. Documentation of a negative laboratory test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) test and must be taken within 72 hours prior to the traveller’s scheduled departure to Canada.Anyone who receives a negative test result and is authorized to enter Canada must still complete the full, mandatory 14-day quarantine. Source Canada.ca
Traveling back to Europe: Please consult the regulations of each country, and also of the ones you stop if case you have connecting flights.
Where to get a Covid test?
- Most resorts offer the service to do the test, make sure to make the appointment when you check in.
- Cancun airport offer testing before boarding. Check all details here.
- US Embassy has published the list of "Covid labs" in Mexico where you can get tested. You will find the info for Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum under the state of Quintana Roo.
YELLOW FLAG FOR RIVIERA MAYA
The State of Quintana Roo (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Riviera Maya), is currenlty in yellow flag:
- 60% of maximum capacity authorized in hotels, restaurants, bars serving food, parks, beach clubs
- 50% of maximum capacity authorized in public transportation.
- Bars and discos are closed.
You can consult the Coronavirus in Riviera Maya figures on the Health Secretary website.
SAFE TRAVELS DESTINATION
The Riviera Maya is #safetravels certified. More than 6,000 companies in the tourism sector are certified or in the process of certification.
Since December 18th, 2020, local authorities have institute the OBLIGATORY USE OF FACE MASKS in the State of Quintana Roo.
All businesses have set up sanitary protocols for staff and guests including:
- Temperature check,
- Washing hand procedures,
- Face masks mandatory, even outside when physical distance is not possible,
- Physical distance eveywhere it is possible (waiting lines, restaurants...
- Cleaning and sanitisation protocol of all equipments and facilities.
Which activities are possible to do?
- Mayan ruins of Tulum, Coba, Ek Balam and Muyil reopened on September 14th. (consult new visit rules)
- Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza reopened on September 22nd. (consult new visit rules)
- Swim and snorkel in Cenotes.
- Swim and snorkel in the ocean, with turtles at Akumal, reef snorkeling in Puerto Morelos or Cozumel...
- Scuba diving in ocean and cenotes
- Punta Laguna Monkey National Park
- Cozumel and Isla Mujeres
- Attractions parks are open.
- Las Coloradas pink lakes and Rio Lagartos national park.
PRIVATE TOURS FROM ABSOLUTE ADVENTURE
In this context, private tours, even more than ever, are the ideal option, whether in terms of quality or safety. Private transport from your hotel, private guide, everything is managed from A to Z by our own care in the strictest respect of health rules.
- 2020 Travelers' Awards Trip Advisor, which places us in the top 10% of tour companies in the world.
- Certificate of excellence since 2015, more than 800 reviews with 5*
- Free cancellation